Wilmington native author and military historian Wilbur D. Jones, Jr. will sign copies of his books on Monday, December 11, from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m., at the Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center, 120 South Second Street.
Jones has written 18 books, seven on World War II. He is a retired Navy captain, 41-year veteran of service to the Department of Defense, former assistant and advance representative to President Gerald Ford, and leads WWII tours.
A Wilmington native who grew up here during WWII, he is past chairman of the USS North Carolina Battleship Commission, and current chairman of both the all-volunteer, 501(c)(3) World War II Wilmington Home Front Heritage Coalition, and the Wilmington City Council-appointed HBHUSO/CAC Advisory Board.
Books available include his two popular award-winning histories of Wilmington and Southeastern North Carolina during WWII: A Sentimental Journey: Memoirs of a Wartime Boomtown, and its sequel, The Journey Continues: The World War II Home Front.
- The nationally popular Gyrene: The World War II United States Marine; plus
- Condemned to Live: A Panzer Artillerymanâ€™s Five-Front War;
- â€œFootball! Navy! War!â€: How Military â€œLend-Leaseâ€ Players Saved the College Game and Helped Win World War II; Â
- Forget That You Have Been Hitler Soldiers: A Youthâ€™s Service to the Reich;
- Hawaii Goes to War: The Aftermath of Pearl Harbor; and his latest,
- â€œShe Shot Her Way to Successâ€: How Chinaâ€™s Empress Dowager Ci Xi Launched a Photographerâ€™s Trailblazing Career.
For further information, contact him at JonesWD@ec.rr.com, or 910-793-6393.